|Title Page |
- The Eddystone lighthouse was built in 1696 on the Eddystone Rocks 14 miles south of Plymouth at the western end of the English Channel and was well-known as a danger to shipping. The first lighthouse built by Henry Winstanley (1644-1703) and the second, which represented a radical improvement on the first, were engulfed and destroyed by a violent storm in 1703. The replacement lighthouse built by John Rudyard was completed in 1709 and endured 46 years until 1755. This work is a detailed report on the history of lighthouses on the site covering the initial experiments for the first lighthouse to the fourth structure which was completed in 1759 by 18th century English civil engineer John Smiton (1724-1792), who engaged in its building.
A collection of illustrations including "Sea-Charts for the Vicinity of the Eddystone Lighthouse" as well as minutely detailed front-elevations and cross-sections of the lighthouses are gathered at the end of the book.
- How to View
- You can view the materials in sequence starting from the cover of the volume by clicking on "Title Page" on the left.
- By clicking on the Illustration Captions, each illustration is displayed.
- The Illustration numbers and Captions follow the [Technical references to the plates].
- To return to this list from an illustration or from the text, click on [Table of Contents].